We do not just want to train guides, we want to train exceptional guides, guides with unparalleled understanding of our planet and her ecosystems, guides that can interpret the magic of a butterfly opening its wings with as much enthusiasm as the magnificence of a herd of elephants crossing a river, guides who can use their time with tourists to spread the conservation message, guides who can become future conservation leaders, guides who can open people's eyes to the power of mother nature and wilderness.
Why Train With Us
- We go beyond the minimum 50 days training and minimum "core modules"
- Our training is designed to draw on the legacy of the great pioneering conservationists Dr Ian Player
- Our field training and wilderness experiences are arguable some of the most exciting and authentic field training opportunities.
- With a 60 year track record and a globally recognised organisation, you can be assured of industry recognition and safety at the highest level
- Part time or full time options
- Some of the most experienced trainers in the business
- Our training prepares you for the industry and work in tourism / nature guiding sector
- Connections to a global network of wilderness and likeminded sister organisations
- Excellent value for money - comparatively speaking, our training costs are extremely competitive
- Small groups
With over sixty years experience and arguably some of the best wilderness guides in the industry, with the wilderness leadership school you are assured of training of the highest quality and unrivalled practical guiding experiences, we go way beyond minimum requirements.
This course is ideally suited to anyone wishing to enter the lodge or guiding business at a professional level and can be completed part time or full time. The FGASA Level I (NQF II) Guide Training Course Includes:
- Unlimited telephonic and email access to our trainers and facilitators whilst working through the theoretical modules. (For part time students)
- 3 weeks of practical training in a Big 5 Game Reserve environment
- 2 x 5 day wilderness trails in iMfolozi Game Reserve Wilderness Area
- 60 Days theoretical training, meals and accommodation (Full time students)
- First Aid Level 1 certificate
- Weapons handling competency - Level 5
- Leave no trace - International Certification
- All assessments and final assessment preparation
Upon completing this course successfully, you will be allowed to work as a registered guide in most nature reserves around Southern Africa with a recognised high standard of training and field experience.
Modules which we cover include: (Several of these are in additional to the minimal FGASA requirements - in bold)
- Creating a guided nature experience
- Weather and Climate
- The Biomes of Southern Africa
- Botany and Grasses
- Animal behaviour
- Conservation Management
- Historical Human Habitation
- Marine Snorkel Guide Basics
- Wilderness Ethics & Leave No Trace Certification
- Wilderness Facilitation, Psychology and Soft Skills
- Tracking and advanced bush skills
- Weapons Handling
- Advanced Cultural Understanding
- Guest relations
- Career Guidance and Tourism Entrepreneurial Opportunities
- Environmental Education Facilitation
Our practical training includes a range of short day outings (for theoretical modules) but also includes a range compulsory outings (for part time and full time students) - this is the really fun, valuable and exciting stuff. Our practical training offers you almost a month of experiences that few people will ever get to have. Including sleeping under the stars in the wilderness, doing night watch duty around the campfire and getting in touch with nature on trail in the same special way Dr. Ian Player designed it over 60 years ago.
These practicals include:
- Two 5 day wilderness trail experiences in iMfolozi Game Reserve Wilderness Area, including transport and meals from Durban. Possibly one of the most special and unforgettable experiences a guide can have.
- 14 day field training in big 5 reserve in Zululand, including transport and meals - this is where you learn valuable bush skills, tracking, dealing with big game, and skills for interpreting the environment around you.
- Subject matter specialist lectures and day outings, including transport for practical outings
- Level 1 First Aid Certificate
- Weapons handling competency - Level 5 Training (Field and Shooting Range)
Students must be available for the specified dates for trails and practical training. Please read our training prospects or information on our Wilderness Trails for more information on what to expect and what to bring
Dates and Costs
- 2017 Full time students R52 000
- 2017 Part time students R37 000
- International Students $3750 (for 3 months, full board, airport transfers and cultural immersion)
Our next intake for full time students is the 16 January 2017 and runs through till 13 April 2017. Although we do accept registrations at any time providing you are available for practical field training and wilderness trail training dates as detailed.
We can arrange customised training courses for groups of 5 or more people at any date.
Mid year intake for 2017 To Be Confirmed (September - November 2017)